Composite bonding is a technique used to improve the aesthetic appearance of your teeth. Using tooth-coloured filling material, we can change the overall colour and shape of your teeth according to your aesthetic preferences. Patients commonly choose composite bonding for the following reasons:
- To make the colour of their teeth more uniform
- To conceal spots, unremovable stain, and other irregularities
- To provide a uniform texture to their teeth and cover rough and/or sharp contours
- To close gaps or spaces between front teeth
- To provide an even or flat incisal edge to chipped or worn front teeth
Advantages to Composite Bonding:
- A cost-effective means to improving your smile
- Covered by majority of insurance plans
- Can be completed in a single appointment
- Composite bonding is a very comfortable procedure
Question: What is involved in having composite bonding completed?
At your composite bonding appointment, we first address your aesthetic concerns to arrive at your ideal tooth shade and shape. In some cases, preliminary shaping or preparation of rough areas may be required. Additionally, large or excessively dark areas may need to be removed prior to composite bonding. Once the surface and edges of each tooth are prepared for bonding, a dental adhesive is applied and the pre-selected shade of tooth-coloured material is applied to the tooth and shaped accordingly. The composite filling material is then cured and hardened and it is now ready for final sculpting and polishing.
All bonded surfaces are initially overbuilt to allow for trimming back, shaping and adjustment. This process is completed gradually and we will frequently have the patient check in the mirror to provide feedback along the way. Incisal edges are flattened and corners rounded according to patient preference but with guidance from the Dentist. Once you are satisfied with the shape and shade of your teeth, we will polish the bonded surfaces to achieve a glossy, smooth and uniform surface.
Composite bonding is the most cost-effective method for aesthetic restoration of teeth. Other options include porcelain veneers and crowns. An assessment of your bite as well as other factors will enable us to recommend the best treatment option for you. Contact us at Enamel Republic to book a free consult appointment today!